Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Church and Politics

A couple weeks ago I posted a blog about politics - not taking a stand for either presidential candidate, but just making a couple observations. A good friend of mine who is also a pastor questioned whether that was a wise thing to do. Members of my congregation could read the post, misunderstand what I was saying, and get upset. Other people think that the Church and pastors should stay out of politics entirely. At the same time, I've seen pastors on Facebook and other places go so far as to endorse a specific candidate. If a pastor does this as an individual rather than from the pulpit or in official church communciations I think it is legal. So here's a question for you: what is the proper relationship between the church (or pastor specifically) and politics? Is personal endorsement outside the pulpit OK? Or can a pastor preach about or make a statement about a particular issue? Are you a pastor who has done so?

2 comments:

Jeremy V. said...

I think Rev. Jeff Brinkman on his blog http://canyouhearthebirdssing.blogspot.com/2008/09/just-my-opinion.html
said it best. How can we once we have taken on the life of ministry as elder endorse politcal candidates and still minister to both sides? I for one encourage people to vote, but do not tell people how I vote.

Erin said...

It's a difficult situation. Church is personal for so many people, but for church leaders it's a job. Is there a way to support one candidate without alienating the group who believes other wise? I lead youth, and so much of them is still being formed and in a sense many adults are still working on their views as well. For me I feel like it's my job to teach them how to ask God in a way that they can make their own decisions. I would hate for someone to "take the easy way out" and just chose a candidate based on my opinion, that's not what this country needs. "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32).