Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seeing Jesus face to face

Last Sunday we had our first Sunday evening worship service in Burlington. It went great - the band was fantastic, 73 people showed up, and there's a really good buzz around about it right now. About 2/3 stayed for dinner afterwards. This coming Sunday small groups begin, so we'll see how that goes!

Here's the best part, though. Some guy named Kevin showed up. Nobody knew Kevin, which in Burlington says something. But he had a great smile and seemed happy to be there. During dinner afterwards he had five servings. A couple church members engaged him in some good conversation. I went up to the Sanctuary to put some stuff away, and one of the members followed me up. She said, "I think he's homeless - he's headed south from Washington. We've got some leftovers - do you think we should offer them to him?"

Well, the sermon was the first in a new series on Methodism. For the first week I focused on Wesley's desire to bring head and heart together, to help people live out the Gospel instead of just talking about it. I even quoted Matthew 25. So of course my answer was yes. Kevin loaded up his food, had some more convesation, and left after giving me a smile and a wink.

On Monday the leadoff question my L3 Incubator group was asked was "where have you seen Jesus face-to-face since we last met." Not only had I seen Jesus, he even winked.

No comments: